Passed by the Senate in October 2009, the MOVE Act amends the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Voting Act (UOCAVA).
Among other things, the MOVE Act:
- mandates a 45-day window for ballot transmission
- disallows the rejection of ballots for what are considering overly burdensome requirements, such as notarization
- requires states to make voter registration applications, absentee ballot applications, and blank ballots available electronically
- provides an online “alternative” ballot for instances when the requested ballot does not arrive
- expands usage of the Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot