How do I register and request an overseas absentee ballot?

To register to vote and request your ballot, visit our Register to Vote/Absentee Ballot page and follow these simple steps:

  • Choose whether you are an overseas or military voter.
  • Fill in the necessary information at each step, continuing to the end of the US Vote data entry process.
  • Note that you can request your ballot online so that you receive it faster, but be prepared to print and send it back via postal mail.
  • Download, print, and sign your form.
  • Send your signed form to the local election office address provided in the instructions that come with the form. Check your state's Voter Materials Transmission Options to confirm whether you can scan your form and return it by email.

As an overseas/military voter, you should send in a new Voter Registration/Ballot Request form to your local election official every calendar year during which you would like to vote, as well as whenever you change your address. You should send this in as early as possible to ensure that you are registered in time for election day! 

Never assume that your ballot will simply be sent to you without sending in a new Voter Registration/Ballot Request formor having direct confirmation from your election official that you are on the voting rolls. Always confirm that you are on the list to receive an absentee overseas/military ballot for the upcoming election.