As a uniformed services member, spouse, or dependent, how do I determine my legal residence address for voting purposes?

Uniformed Service personnel and their family members must meet a state's residency requirements to declare it as their legal voting residence. You must have had physical presence in the state with the intent to remain or make the state your home or domicile. You may only have one single legal residence at a time. State Durational Residency Rules can be found in our State Voting Requirements & Information directory. Select your state, and on the following page select your election location and "Eligibility Requirements." 

Voting age family members of active duty military personnel may each have a different legal residence. A spouse does not automatically assume the legal residence of the active duty member upon marriage. Each individual must meet the physical presence and intent to remain or return criteria. 

Minors typically assume the legal residence of either parent when they become 18. They also have the option of establishing their own legal residence, which can be different from either parent, assuming they have met the guidelines of physical presence and intent to remain or return. 

Please note: "Home of Record" is a military-specific term used to determine military entitlements and may not be the same as your legal residence. Your legal residence is used for voting purposes and is not your Home of Record.