I'm an American citizen born overseas – can I vote?

I'm an American citizen born overseas – can I vote?

Whether or not an American citizen born overseas who has never resided in the U.S. can vote in American elections is determined by state law. You can visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program website for a full list of state-specific information. Click this link to access this list. 

The voting rights of U.S. citizens born overseas are specifically provided by laws in approximately 37 states. Information about these states is listed below and should be reviewed before submitting a Voter Registration/Ballot Request form in case special exceptions apply. Even though some states are silent on the issue, no state specifically forbids it, so we encourage you to try to register, even if your state is not on the list, by using the federal Registration/Absentee Ballot Request form.

You can generate the completed form by going to the Register to Vote / Absentee Ballot page on our website.

Your voting address in the United States will be the last U.S. residence of your U.S. citizen parent. U.S. voting is very local, so the ultimate decision regarding whether you can register to vote rests with your local election officials in the voting jurisdiction of your U.S. citizen parent.

After you've completed the online process, you should download the form, print it, sign it, and mail it to your local election official in the U.S. Then, once the form should have been received, you should contact your local election official via telephone or email to check whether your application was accepted and thus if you are registered to vote. If you run into problems when trying to register, please don't hesitate to contact us with any further questions. You can submit a question to our Voter Help Desk by clicking on the ‚ÄúSend us a question" button. 

Please remember to save a copy of all registration documents for your records.