Military and Overseas Voter Empowerment Act (MOVE Act)
Passed by the Senate in October 2009, this act amends the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Voting Act, referred to as "UOCAVA".
Among other things, the MOVE Act:
- mandates a 45-day window for ballot transmission
- disallows the rejection of ballots for what are considering overly burdensome requirements, such as notarization
- requires states to make voter registration applications, absentee ballot applications and blank ballots available electronically
- provides an online “alternative” ballot for instances when the requested ballot does not arrive
- and expands usage of the Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot